I know...not a great title. I just don't know what else to say about what I'm about to write about. The day of Chad and Chesley's wedding is one I will NEVER forget. It was one of those days you seem to remember every single detail of because it is traumatically stuck in your head forever. Sadly, I have many days like this. April 21, 1992 is one of them. As is May 28, 2001. And now I will add to the list May 13, 2013.
The morning started off rough. We were up in Boise at the Cosper's and we were all running around trying to get things ready for the big wedding later in the day. My in-laws dishwasher broke a hose and started leaking all over in the basement. Like full on raining in the house kind of leaking. We were all trying to clean up the mess and fix the problem. I had towels and was cleaning up water in the basement and Curtis and his dad were in the garage finding the right tools and parts needed to get the leak fixed. Kylee in the meantime had decided she would go ride her cousins bike around while the rest of us worked to clean up.
A hose was needed from Home Depot and Curtis asked Carson (his youngest brother) to go get it for them. Our truck was parked behind Carson's so Curtis just threw him the keys and told him to take it to the store. Just as Carson went to back out of the driveway Kylee came riding around the corner on her cousins bike. Carson didn't see her behind him and next thing he knew he heard a loud thud and could tell he had hit something. He got out to see the bike under the tire and to hear Kylee screaming.
It's every parent's worse nightmare. I could hear her screams from all the way in the house. My heart stopped and I knew something was terribly wrong. Curtis and Craig (his dad) heard the crash and of course Curtis ran over right away to see Kylee laying under the truck and the bike under the back tire. He grabbed his little girl in his arms and brought her into the house. She was dirty...she had been knocked into the gutter and it was full of water from the sprinklers and dirt from the road. She had road rash all down the left side of her body and at first it was difficult to tell what was blood and what was dirt and where she was most hurt.
We got her cleaned up and she was already starting to bruise in places she had hit the road. The back tire of the truck had missed her. It just hit the bike. Since Carson was driving the truck it was high enough off the ground that the only impact she had was the first impact of the hit and then the truck drove over her. She had no broken bones and besides road rash and scrapes and bruises she was perfectly fine. In fact, that night at the wedding she was almost entirely back to normal.
I can't even type about it still without crying. It could have been so much worse. It should have been. I am not just being dramatic here...she wasn't wearing a helmet and that back tire...I don't know how she actually missed it honestly. It should have been worse. I am so thankful every day that it wasn't. It wasn't until later after everything calmed down and she was fine that I broke down. I cried and cried and cried. My kids are my world. They mean everything to me. Nothing makes you feel worse than seeing your children hurt and suffer.
I am so thankful for the angels watching over my baby that day. I am so blessed. I look back now and think it maybe doesn't qualify as the worst day. In the end, she was fine and we got to celebrate with family the rest of the night. Unlike the other days I mentioned above, life didn't really change. I was just reminded how incredibly lucky I am to get to be the mom of these awesome kids. I hold them both a little longer and a little tighter now.
Monday, May 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for making me cry. I can only imagine how awful that was but thank the Lord everything is ok.
Post a Comment