Sunday, December 14, 2008

Potty Training Central

Kylee has been toying with potty training for some time, but quite honestly mommy wasn't ready for it. It is amazing how quick she is growing up and although it is exciting and awesome, it is also a little sad. I was going to wait to really start potty training until after the holidays, but she has actually been very persistent and very interested, so I didn't want to miss the window of opportunity.
Since I only work Tuesday and Thursday's, and since we had absolutely no plans this weekend, we decided it was as good a time as any. I really had no clue what to do, but did read lots of articles and get lots of advice from friends and other parents, and think we came up with the plan right for Kylee. We started with a trip to the store to let her pick out her new underwear (surprise...ELMO) and a reward treat of her choice (Skittles or squittles as she calls them).
I like the idea of giving them lots to drink the first day, as it obviously makes them need to go more often and helps them start to realize when they need to go. The only bad thing is that you are going to the potty every 15-20 minutes. It started off a little rough, and I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right choice, but not much later, she was grasping the concept and getting it down like a pro. Even today at church she did great. I know it sounds a little funny, but I have never been so proud. The first little tinkle in the toilet made my heart leap with such great joy. I've never talked so much about bodily fluids my whole life, or been so glad to see them go in the toilet, but being a mother and watching your children learn and grow has to be about the greatest joy there is.
Great Job Kylee! We are so proud of you!

5 comments:

Lynch said...

Yay Kylee!! I'm proud too! Potty training is hard for everyone involved, so way to go Mandy too!!

Keri said...

So jealous, I wish Aidan was close!

Stacy said...

Sounds like your getting it ;) Great job Ky....and mandy too:)
Hope to see you soon. Stacy

Katie said...

I know what you mean when you say your heart leapt with joy when you heard those little tinkles....You are such a great mom..keep it up:)

Aimee said...

Yippy Kylee way to go!!!