So I went to my doctor's today...for the routine yearly exam girl's have to go through as well as a follow up appointment for my hospital visit. I've been feeling much better and excited for good news.
Sadly, I didn't get any of that.
As she was checking me out she asked me casually if I had ever been tested for Thyroid Cancer. I told her no, and she mentioned there was definitely a mass on my Thyroid. I had NEVER noticed anything, but sure enough, once she showed me where to feel, there it was. She told me not to worry but that she definitely wanted to get it checked out ASAP, especially since we will be losing our insurance soon, so she scheduled me for some tests to be done tomorrow.
The exam went on as usual and then she asked me casually again if I had been having any pain in my lower abdomen. I told her a little, but nothing worse than when I went to the hospital and that I still had plenty of pain killers I was taking when needed. While in the hospital I had a CT scan performed to check out my kidneys and they mentioned there was a cyst on my ovary and that I had probably also had another cyst burst, which was just adding to my pain. They didn't say anything more about it, so I didn't really think anything of it as I have dealt with these before, although not since having kids. My Doctor said she could definitely feel a mass on my ovary as well. When she pulled up my CT scan all she said was "Oh Mandy...Oh Dear" and then proceeded to tell me my right ovary was 3 TIMES the size it is supposed to be.
Her casualness quickly changed and I saw a look of panic on her face. She told me that the Thyroid is directly related to our ovaries and the fact that they both had masses on them was NOT a good sign. She said the chance of me having cancer is about 75% and that I needed to get that checked out ASAP as well. So tomorrow and Thursday have now been dedicated to "TEST" days full of ultra sounds and biopsy's and who knows what else.
I know that medicine is not an exact science and that there is a very good chance that they are just benign masses and everything will be fine. I'm trying REALLY hard to stay positive and believe that everything will be alright and work out and to stay calm until we know more. But honestly I'm having a VERY hard time NOT FREAKING OUT! Curtis gave me an awesome blessing and I'm trying SO HARD just to have faith...but I'm wavering
BIG TIME.
So here's my plea...lend me some of yours!
Please?
I know more than anyone my faults and my weaknesses and that I am far from being great, but I also know that my friends and family out there who read this ARE GREAT...so I'm begging all you great people out there to please send me your faith and prayers. That is all I need from you, as it is what I am lacking the most.

14 comments:
Hi Mandy, I think I am probably the worst friend ever about keeping touch, but I do read your blog all the time! I am so sorry to hear about everything you are going through. I'm sure everything will work out and it will turn out to be nothing! Please let me know if there is anything I can do! You and your cute family are in my thought and prayers! Diane Bell
Im sorry to hear all that your going through but you are in our prayers please let us know if we can help with anything!
Oh Mandy, I am so sorry. I had a skin cancer scare over the holidays and have been in and out of Dr.'s offices for the past 8 months and it has been more than very difficult. So I am totally feeling and crying for you right now. You are one of the kindest, most loving people I know. When I really needed a friend clear back our Sophmore year, you were there to make me feel loved and important. I have looked up to you for years and am so glad we are back in touch. Through everything I've been through lately, one thing I have learned over and over is that Heavenly Father DOES know us and LOVES us as individuals and tender mercies are given to us every day...even on the absolute most rotten days. You are in my prayers. LOVE YOU!!!
We will be praying for you and your family. Lots of love to you. Keep us updated.
Amanda, you sweetie! Just know that you and Curtis and your wonderful family are "NOT" in this alone! I'm going to email all of our family... (and that is a pretty big group! Over 100 last count!) Each family will be asked to place your name into the Temple that they are nearest and keep it there! We love you! And Heavenly Father and Jesus love you too. Even when things seem darkest... always know that all you have to do is ask for help and He will help!
Tell Curtis if there is any time NIGHT OR DAY, that you need anything at all. To call!
Take care!
Aunt Jean and Uncle Doug!
Amanda,
Just always remember that you don't have to go through this alone and that you have tons of family and friends who love and support you. Your Heavenly Father love you and will help you through whatever lies ahead. My prayers are with you right now so please know that if you need anything at all please don't hesitate to call Allison or me.
Love, Katie(McKinstry)Brown
Mandy,
You have always been a strength to me. I had some much fun with you thoughout high school. I know how hard it is to keep the faith, but because I know you, I know you will. Please know you will be in my prayers and I would love to help out any way I can.
My grandma always used to say, it is always darkest before the dawn and that has helped me through a lot of struggles. I hope it may help you.
Hey there... I will send any and all prayers your way. I have actually had a couple of friends with Thyroid Cancer. Both had to have their Thyroid removed but guess what... both are great now and have had no complications or side effects since having the surgery. I know I'm not very close but let me know if you need anything. I'll be thinking of you! Loves...
Although it may seem a little strange for me to be commenting on your blog, I am mainly doing it for Brenda. She read you recent entry and tried to comment but lacked the computer skills to make it work. So I am trying to relay her concern and support for you. We will definitely keep you in our prayers and want you to know that we care about you and your family. We wish you the very best and know that the priesthood power is the best defense we have against problems we may encounter. Know that we join with all those who are concerned and want only the best for you
Mandy, my heart goes out to you and your family. Know that you are loved and are in our prayers. You are such an amazing, strong, loving person!
*Hugs*
Wish I was close and could give you hugs for real. Hang in there Mandy!
Mandy!
You are definately in my prayers! I'm sorry about the bad news, but have faith that you'll get through this - cause you're strong and such a good mommy and those two cute love bugs need you. Please keep us updated and I'm here for you! Let me know if you need anything - honestly - time to get out and play? dinner? whatev!
Mandy, I am so sorry to hear about your news. I am sure you are in total shock now and you have every reason to feel a million emotions. The hardest part is waiting and wondering and letting your mind decipher what the possibilities could be. You are such an amazing person and I hope it all turns out okay, but I know whatever the results, you will be able to go through it with strength. One thing I know for sure is that the Lord is in control. "Be still and know that I am God" is one of my favorite scriptures. Your family and friends are here to support you, but don't forget about the number one person who knows what you are feeling and can comfort you most adequately is your Savior. Hold on! Love you!
Mandy I hope every thing is well and I love you lots!
Post a Comment