Yesterday I endured the biopsy on my thyroid. Not the worst thing I've ever had to do, but it wasn't all that comfortable either. The procedure itself wasn't bad...it was once the lidocaine wore off that I was not a happy camper. Just lots of swelling and soreness.
So let's start with the bad news: Today I got a call from my doctor. She indicated that out of the 3 slides they took, 2 were abnormal or atypical which doesn't necessary mean anything, but the third was definitely cancerous. :( To make a long story short...I have Thyroid Cancer.
Here's the good news: Thyroid Cancer is one of the easiest cancer's to treat. The cells are a lot slower to reproduce making it a lot easier to control. Also, most of the time all it takes is the removal of the thyroid and your good..although sometimes small radiation treatments are needed. They are unsure just how much will need to be removed or if any other treatment will be needed. That's something they won't really know until they are "in" there. So we have a pre-op consult scheduled with the specialist on March 9th and surgery tentatively scheduled for that following Wednesday the 11th.
I have no doubt that things will be alright. I feel really blessed that this is all I have. I know it could be much worse and IS much worse for many people out there. I REALLY appreciate all your love, support, encouragement, and especially your prayers.
LOVES TO ALL!!!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Amanda having been down the Cancer road with Kevin I know that this is not an easy time for you guys but we will continue to Pray and we are avalable to help in anyway possible.
Did they tell you anything about what stage it might be in? And might I ask if you are going to the U of U / Huntsman Center? Cause the Dr.'s there are tops!
That is where Kevin went.
You are in our prayers kiddo, let us know what we can do. Yeah, I know that you probably won't! But, we will be checking up on you.
Take care.
Love to you and the family
Wow. You are amazing and can do anything. I am so glad they caught it when they did. You are still in my prayers!
You're a trooper and will do just great! I'm glad they found it when they did, cause it COULD'VE been a lot worse. Hang in there and you're in my prayers.
Thanks for the update, Mandalay Bay. You and your family are in my prayers.
Mandy - you brave girl, what an inspiration! I'll be praying for you and your family.
Mandy, you are amazing!!!! I'm so conflicted with your news because my heart breaks to hear you say you have thyroid cancer, but your attitude is amazing. Hold strong and stay positive, that is what will get you through (but don't feel bad when you have bad days, because that is definitely warranted). You are on the right track though. LOVE YOU!
Mandy, you are such an inspirational person. Stay strong and keep a positive attitude. You will be in our prayers. Sending our love. Chino's
I can almost see the smile in your words and I am HAPPY that you are doing so well, just know that there is a whole FAMILY a couple of hundreds of mile away that think of you through out the day, who pray for you ALL DAY, the kids are worried about you but want you to "be happy, and not sick" we love you guys SO MUCH.Call us when you can we would love to hear from you!!
Prayers From AZ!
Post a Comment