Sunday, September 13, 2009

So Long Summer

This weekend took us all over southern Utah for tub repairs. Curtis hates driving around all by himself, so I figured since I was finally starting to feel better and we never get to really spend too much time together, that I would find a babysitter and travel around doing tub jobs with him. We literally went ALL OVER to a ton of different little towns, but it sure was fun to just be with him and talk like we used to way back when we were young and dating and friends. ;-)


We set out with no real plan, other then what jobs needed to be completed and where they were at and that sort of thing. It was laid back and fun. We saw SO many interesting and fun things. Like this truck at a gas station at some po-dunk tiny town (I can't even remember it's name...somewhere out by Richfield I think). We love "The Office" so we had to get a picture of it.


The first night we worked from 9:00 that morning until 9:00 that night and ended up in Panguitch, UT at this tiny little motel called Marianna Inn. It was cute on the outside, and pretty much the only place that didn't look like it belonged in a horror movie. It was cheap and ok for the one night of sleeping. (Thankfully I had my own blankets and pillows to use) It really wasn't too bad though.

Then we woke up and didn't have a job until later that day and it was all the way in Cedar City, so we figured since we were so close to Bryce Canyon and had the time to spare, we'd swing up there real quick and then head over to Cedar. On the way we passed Red Rock Canyon and stopped to play around for a second.


Curtis and his orange shirt kind of blend in with the rocks.



Then we got to Bryce Canyon. I have seen pictures of it a thousand times, but they don't do it justice. It took my breath away. It is SO beautiful and amazing.


It was a gorgeous day and a gorgeous view and I just kept thinking of the words to one of my many favorite primary songs..."I'm so glad that I live in this beautiful world, Heavenly Father created for me."


Just can't describe how incredible it was.

We really wanted to hike down into the canyon and do a lot more at Bryce, but we had to head out to Cedar City for our final job. Once we were done there, we debated what we should do next. We had purposely arranged for the kids to stay with my parents so that we could spend the rest of the weekend alone. We just weren't sure where. We used our GPS to try to decide where we could go that would be fun (and not too expensive). We debated between St. George, Mesquite, Las Vegas, and even going back to Bryce. Then I thought I wonder how far Zion's is from here. It was only 40 miles and closer then going all the way back to Bryce Canyon, so we decided what the heck and headed on up there.

By the time we got there it was getting dark, so we just drove around the canyon, through the awesome tunnel, and saw LOTS of wild life (deer, big horn sheep, wild turkeys). We got a quick tour of the major sites and info on what hikes were best and so on and found another cheap hole in the wall to stay at just outside the park. ( I didn't even take a picture of this place, because it was too embarassing).

This is us in the Canyon at night. The stars were SO BRIGHT and gorgeous and it was so peaceful and romantic.

The next morning we decided we would start out our day by doing the toughest hike Zion's has to offer...Angel's Landing. It was still early enough that it was nice and cool.
This mountain is Angel's Landing. The hike takes you STEEPLY up it on the right side, and then you can climb the 1/2 mile across the top to the highest peak on the mountain on the left there. They told us that you shouldn't go that last half mile if you were scared of heights (which Curtis is) or weren't in good physical condition (which I'm not).

This is us about 1/4 of the way up Angel's Landing.
When we got to the top and saw the hike to the peak, we both looked at each other with a little bit of fear in our eyes. It looks pretty intimidating.
Curtis wasn't sure if he could make it. His fear of heights started kicking in. There were a lot of people at this point giving up and turning around, as well as a lot of spouses staying behind while the other took the climb. There was even an older lady telling me I shouldn't do it. But we had made it to this point and neither one of us wanted to give up when we were so close. We started the climb...

And WE MADE IT...TOGETHER! The reward was more magnificent then I ever imagined.
I got a little teary eyed as we made it. It just seemed so fitting to our life right now. We are constantly on this uphill climb to get to somewhere AMAZING. There are so many times when it seems too hard and we just want to give up, and we loose sight of where we are going...but thankfully I married someone who loves and forgives my weaknesses and helps me stay on the path I need and we take turns helping one another. There are also many people in life who will tell you it's not worth it, or not to even try, or that you can't do it...and all too often are marriages broke up because they just give up and no longer want to try...or maybe one person just doesn't want to go on anymore. Curtis and I have been through Hell this year. We have been on the verge of giving up more then I would like to admit. But we've made it! And the reward will be more then I can ever imagine I'm sure!
(There are way more pictures on Facebook of this hike)

We rested awhile after Angel's landing and then explored more of the park and trails.


It was so gorgeous, again pictures don't do it justice.

We hiked in the river to get to the narrows, but just ran out of time. We had the best time and it was one heck of a way to say SO LONG to SUMMER!

No comments: