Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sunrise, Sunset

Working in Riverton is not ideal.  It is about 53 miles from my house to my work.  That's 106 miles a day and nearly 2 hours of my day spent in the car.  What's worse is I have to wake up extra early to catch my ride and avoid the rush hour traffic.  I'm not a morning person.  I am a night owl all the way.
I hate waking up to the darkness outside and always can't seem to get myself out of bed.  I used to always just sleep the whole way to work in the van pool.  Lately, I have had to drive myself a lot and have realized I have missed out on some amazing sunrises while I have been sleeping.  Everyday they are just more and more gorgeous.  I now look forward to them.  I love driving through the valley, coming into the city just as the sun is creepy up behind our gorgeous Utah mountains.  I love the 5 temples I pass on my way to work and shout out "I SPY" every time I pass one even though I'm the only one in my car.  I am really beginning to love my morning commute.  I feel so blessed to get to watch the sun rise and feel so much love from my Heavenly Father every morning.  What a great way to start the day. 

Tonight Kylee and I were playing with play dough and she noticed the sun setting in our backyard.  I grabbed my camera and we sat on our back porch and watched in wonder as the sun disappeared.  Kylee asked me why the sun has to set and why it gets dark.  I told her all about the earth rotating on it's axis and tried to explain the scientific reasons to her.  She thought for a moment and then said very plainly to me "I think Heavenly Father makes the sunset so we can see these pretty colors and watch the sunset together."  A much better answer then mine for sure.  It was a perfect way to end the night. 
This is the sunset we saw from our back yard and the picture below is the sunset we watched from Antelope Island a couple weeks ago.  We just drove out there on a spur of the moment drive and ended up seeing lots of buffalo and some antelope as well as an amazing sunset. 
I'm so glad that I live in this beautiful world!

No comments: