Wednesday, July 23, 2014

23rd of July

I know most people celebrate the 24th of July, but to me, the 23rd is a more important day.  I don't mean any disrespect to the Pioneer's and the sacrifices they made...I am very grateful for that.  When it comes to my family and my heritage, the 23rd has much more meaning.  We have been doing the same thing on the 23rd of July for the past 24 years.  The first time we started our 23rd of July traditions was the day my sweet baby brother Cody was born.  My mom and dad went to the hospital and my brother Fred took all us kids to the Bountiful parade.  We lived in Bountiful at the time and he had just turned 16.  We went to the parade and to the fireworks and heard after we got home that our baby brother Cody had been born.  We did the same thing the next year...with baby Cody in tow. Fred bought him a balloon that said it was his birthday and we again went and watched the fireworks later.  The next year Fred died just months before the parade...but where he is buried is the PERFECT spot to watch the fireworks.  So we kept our parade tradition but instead of going to the school to watch the fireworks, we went up to his grave so we could still spend that day with him.  It is a sweet and special tradition.
While we were waiting for the parade to start I took my melting, hot and sweaty kids into the library to cool down and read some books.  It was actually really really nice and I don't know why we haven't done that before.  



They are both getting so big and so smart.  
They amaze me every day.



Then we tried to stay cool as we watched the parade.
Which I might add is the best parade.  
Some of the things we got thrown at us (besides the typical yummy candy) were Lion House Rolls, Mrs. Cavanaugh's Mindie Mints, frisbee's, otter pops, balls, and tons of candy.  

It's a great parade...even if it's super hot.  

Between the parade and the fireworks we always go to my Grandma's and eat yummy food and sing to Cody before we head up to the grave site for fireworks.  






My Uncle Terrell is always such a goof ball.  He totally mastered the photo bomb.  

I really really really love my crazy family and our awesome 23rd of July traditions.  
The fireworks were awesome and it was a night full of great things. 
A surprise announcement was made...but you'll have to wait for the next post to find out what that is. 

No comments: