Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Koko Head

On our tour of Oahu the very first day of our trip, our tour guide took us past a neat looking volcano named Koko Head.  As he was telling us about the hike up the side of the crater and he mentioned that only crazy people do it.  I knew I HAD to do it.  The trail is only about 1.5 miles, but it increases in elevation by 1,200 feet and consists of 1,048 stairs.  The views from the top are well worth the effort.  You get a 360 degree view of the east of Oahu.  
It was a difficult hike - but so worth it!!!




The railroad ties that make up the stairs for the trail were once part of an incline tram system during World War II.  They used them to haul military personnel and supplies to the top of Koko Crater.  The area used to be part of the Koko Crater Air Force Station.   
This part was scary.  You can't tell very well from the picture but these stair are actually pretty high off the ground and it was nerve racking crossing this part. I had to not think about it and just do it.  

This was about halfway up.  

I took this pic to try and capture the incline.  

One panoramic view from the top.  You can see Hanauma bay, Diamond Head, and the eastern coast.  


The other view of the island.  There were all kind of WWII remnants at the top that were cool to look at too.  The top was amazing and even though my legs were sore for the rest of the trip, this hike was truly awesome and I was so thankful I got the chance to do it.  

No comments: