Thursday, October 23, 2008

EEEK!!! EEWW!!! CREEPY!!!

So, the other day I'm sitting with my kids in our little family room when I notice something big and black crawling across the ceiling. If any of you know me well, you know that I'm pretty tough (ha ha) but not when it comes to spiders. They are SUPER gross and scary in my opinion. So I get a little nervous and of course Curtis wasn't home to kill it for me. The fact that it was black had me even more nervous so I walked over to get a better look. Sure enough, there is a BIG RED MARK on its back. So, I immediately FREAK OUT and grab the kids and take them out to the front yard, and call Curtis and ask him to come rescue us. I knew he was a ways away and I could see the spider quickly running across the ceiling. I started to worry that he would run into my couch or somewhere and I wouldn't know where he went so I knew I had to take some action. I took my kids to a safe room (after quickly surveying IT for spiders too) and went to face my fear. I couldn't kill it...I wanted to know for sure if it was a black widow or some other spider, so I grabbed a jar to capture it instead. I was shaking and freaking out, but I did it.
These pictures aren't very good, but you can kind of see the mark on his back. We have since sprayed for spiders and my spider guy even confirmed it was a black widow. Luckily, it's a male, so hopefully there were no nests or eggs laid anywhere, but still GROSS and SCARY!!!
Hopefully he just came by for a Halloween scare and we don't see anymore of his friends anytime. I of course look everywhere for spiders now and every time a hair tickles my neck or arm, I freak out thinking it's something crawling on me. That's what you get when you live out in farm country I guess.


5 comments:

Jill said...

oh my gosh I am totally freaking out...that is disgusting and SCARY!!!!!!!!!

Daniel and Tonya said...

Sorry Mandy, but it looks like you won't have a good time at my house, we get spiders the size of golf balls out here. They are everywhere too. Being so close to the water we have an overabundance of bugs, which brings spiders.

raybee... said...

Oh, yuck!!! I would have freaked out too. You were so brave to go back and capture the nasty little thing. Hope you will be spider free now. I greatly dislike little crawly things. :)

Keri said...

Ugh, I'd have a serious PANIC attack! I HATE HATE HATE spiders!!! Where do you live?

Shanna said...

Mandy,

I totally know how you feel. When I was pregnant with Kaleb (I think), I went downstairs to get some tums and turned around to find a black widow climb up its web, level with my face. I screamed and my husband came running while trying to find something to beat whomever was in our house. He smashed the spider for me and I would not go downstairs for a week.