Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Caramel Apples

My kids LOVE the caramel apples from Lagoon. They especially love the ones with candy toppings on them.  So I figured it would be a fun family night activity to make caramel apples. I thought - how hard can it be?!? You melt caramel and dip apples into it, right?
So we got some caramels and I got to melting them on the stove.

The hardest part for sure was trying to the get the darn caramels out of the wrappers. 
I was very proud of my kids for staying determined to get the candies out. 

Kylee unwrapped quite a few.

Cannon had a much harder time, and when he would finally get a caramel out...

he would just eat it.  :) 


But after much work and melting we were able to dip.  The apples turned out cute, but I quickly realized the caramel was not going to stay on the apple.  Blame it on gravity and probably having too thin of caramel sauce, but the caramel was just sliding right off the apple. 

I encouraged the kids to hurry and eat them and they happily agreed. 

They didn't look as pretty as the ones we get at Lagoon, but they did taste wonderful. 
Plus, we had a lot of fun making them together, and that's what really matters, right? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's what matters. I notice you have hockey on in the background. I'm not surprised. :) I mean, the Penguins were playing and all.

-Liv

Amanda said...

The penguins were playing - and won I might add. :)