I knew when I became a parent that kids can be disobedient and destructive...but I really had no idea until just recently. You've seen the little messes
Kylee has made, and although they have been a little frustrating and time consuming, I've been able to laugh about all of them so far....until this one.
Curtis had left early for work and
Kylee woke up before Cannon and I did. Somehow she found a black sharpie marker. Don't ask me how, because I HONESTLY didn't even know we owned one. When I was awoken by her, she had drawn all over her legs. I knew there had to be some more damage somewhere, but looked all over the walls and LUCKILY, none of them had marker on them. I was actually quite satisfied and relieved the marker was just on her. Sure, it would take a few washes before it came out, but no big deal. We had a nice little talk about how we only write on paper and I was feeling like a good parent.
Then I found this...

This is the cedar chest my parents bought me when I graduated from High School. It is beautiful and one of my prized possessions. She had also drawn on the side of our bed and one of my nightstands. I cried and seriously could not even look at
Kylee. I have never been that mad at her before. I kept trying to remind myself there are just material things, but my emotions didn't feel the same way.
I called my mother who was sympathetic (although she also laughed at me) and calmed me down. Then when Curtis came home he worked his magic and was able to take it off with some chemicals he uses for work all the time. He literally saved the day.

It is pretty much as good as new. The nightstand and bed also survived the attack. This was a wake up call to me that I really needed to make it a little less easy for
Kylee to get into things she shouldn't. We have a baby gate at the top of the stairs and covers over all the electrical outlets, but had never really done any other baby proofing...so off to the store we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment